some ideas.. some bugs..

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• some ideas.. some bugs..

Hi..

I've been looking for a way to encrypt stls, or objs in a way to sell access to models that my company has produced.. always afraid the 3d models would get ripped .. and then all the work is pirated and lost. it's a new model we're entertaining, having obj, and stls for "rent" .. or for a period of time.. that's what I'm kinda looking for... a way to manage shares, and control who has access to what. the file is always protected.. and we can tell if there's 200 people trying to access the same file.

bugs first.

1. I installed on my PC, and I could see the window up when I did an alt-tab. but the other box did not show up at all. i had the icon in the area by the clock.. double left click.. nada.. right click only gave me import and exit.. i did import a file as a test. and that was successful. i just could not get into the regular screen to set up the calling card. puu.sh/vFXaX/71b7899f7d.jpg if i go into task manager.. i can force it to the front and maximize the screen.. then i can't see anything behind it unfortunately... i'm running off a MSI GS60Pro .. my resolution is high, but only single screen.. thought maybe it was showing up on another screen? uhm.. no..

2. my partner and I wanted to test the functionality... so he shared a file with me, and then he logged in as me.. it took quite a bit of time to switch users.. i think it even timed out once or twice...

3. viewing the obj file he added did not work. is a requirement to have Maya 2017? or is the viewer part of your app?

4. Must you have maya 2017? we only have 2016 atm. does that mean nothing will work?

5. in the last download, we could not find the button or toggle for encryption.. there is nothing there, and the screen is kinda locked so we weren't sure if it was expanded more to the right.. but we can't adjust the box size nor move it, so we couldn't tell.

that's really as far as we got.. :/ we wanted to test more.. hope to get these little things worked out..
      ----

suggestions/ comments / questions.

I know you are working on zbrush and maya support. if I understand correctly. the view, will only let someone view the obj file from your application.. it doesn't open a third party..? correct?

When stl files get exported, are they encrypted as well? (i hope so!) .. people usually need to manipulate the file a little and the STL will need to get sliced in their 3d printing program... so then will you need to be compatible with those programs as well too?

when I import a file to the library.. i'm sending it to your file server correct?

if there's a way to get backwards compatible with maya 2016.. that would help us alot in testing... :/

thanks for reading and look forward to be able to do more testing for you guys..

Helen
    • Helen,

I cant express how awesome it is that you have provided us with this feedback and bugs. This will help us to make the product great and useful to you. I will work on responding to each of your questions today and send you a comprehensive response here. Apologies again for the delay, and I look forward to working with you much more on this.

Thanks!
    • Helen,

Please see my responses inline:

1. I installed on my PC, and I could see the window up when I did an alt-tab. but the other box did not show up at all. i had the icon in the area by the clock.. double left click.. nada.. right click only gave me import and exit.. i did import a file as a test. and that was successful. i just could not get into the regular screen to set up the calling card. puu.sh/vFXaX/71b7899f7d.jpg if i go into task manager.. i can force it to the front and maximize the screen.. then i can't see anything behind it unfortunately... i'm running off a MSI GS60Pro .. my resolution is high, but only single screen.. thought maybe it was showing up on another screen? uhm.. no..

I have noticed this issue as well on multi-monitor setups with high resolutions. I have escalated it to the highest priority and we should have a fix on our next build at the end of our current sprint. I am hoping to have this done in the next week.

2. my partner and I wanted to test the functionality... so he shared a file with me, and then he logged in as me.. it took quite a bit of time to switch users.. i think it even timed out once or twice...

I am adding this to the bug list and will put it on our current sprint.

3. viewing the obj file he added did not work. is a requirement to have Maya 2017? or is the viewer part of your app?

Most of the functionality with the viewer currently has a bug if you don't create a calling card first. This is being resolved in the current sprint as well. The viewer is standalone and doesn't require Maya, but editing the file does.

4. Must you have maya 2017? we only have 2016 atm. does that mean nothing will work?

At current it supports Maya 2017. We are working on supporting the older versions. I will add this as a priority item to the current sprint so you can test it out.

5. in the last download, we could not find the button or toggle for encryption.. there is nothing there, and the screen is kinda locked so we weren't sure if it was expanded more to the right.. but we can't adjust the box size nor move it, so we couldn't tell.

The new version does the encryption on the fly. So once you import the object it is automatically encrypted. Thank you for letting us know not being able to resize the window is super annoying. We will fix this in the next build as well.

I know you are working on zbrush and maya support. if I understand correctly. the view, will only let someone view the obj file from your application.. it doesn't open a third party..? correct?

If you grant the user you share with Edit or Full control, it will spawn the native application. When you give them edit only control, it will spawn the application with a limited feature set to prevent extracting the model out of the 3rd party application, but will allow you to save your changes to it back to D3CRYPT3D library so the owner can receive them.

When stl files get exported, are they encrypted as well? (i hope so!) .. people usually need to manipulate the file a little and the STL will need to get sliced in their 3d printing program... so then will you need to be compatible with those programs as well too?

As it stands the STL export is not encrypted. It is simply a conversion utility. This is an integration we have slated further down the line after we get the current ones working properly.

when I import a file to the library.. i'm sending it to your file server correct?

That is correct.

if there's a way to get backwards compatible with maya 2016.. that would help us alot in testing...

As I mentioned above, I will add this to the current sprint so you can test!!! :)

Also, I will PM you my direct number so you can call me and ask questions any time if need be.

Thanks again Helen.

Partha