Process Please

• I'll do my best to answer any questions about D3CRYPT3D. First of all winzip encryption is a valid way but its not inherently "encrypting" the 3d file. We have currently on level of encryption for the beta level. The second one that is to be released has 3 levels of encryption. Beyond that, you will be able to track your assets and know when your client / receiver d3crypts your obj. Currently we are working on a way to "see" what and where the file has gone too. At any given point you will see the time your product was opened. Is it the end all be all.. not yet. We are working on blocking certain tools so that in the future the receiver will have limits on what receiver can or can't do with the object! Try it out . Anyfeed back is good. Personally I just want a more secure way too mail 3d assets. I've said in other forums that I do not feel 3d assets should be reduced to a copy and paste function. A lot of trade secrets and detail and knowledge goes into a 3d model.

Our main programmers are working on a chart to post up on the website outlying why D3CRYP3D is better than DRM / winzip/ etc. I will say the ease of it is already a plus. You basically have a list of what is ENCRYPTED or D3CRYPT3D at all times. You will also be able to see what has happened to it and where your objects are. 3D asset tracking is something we are pursuing on a constant basis. Its not perfect yet, but with your help, it could be.

Thanks!
    • Hey Unicursal76!

It differs from winzip and 7-zip in several ways:

1. There is no compression algorithm applied
      2. The file type remains the same and can be opened in its native application even in an encrypted state.
      3. Asset tracking metrics are embedded in the encryption which allow for tracking throughout the lifecycle
      4. The assets owner is identified by the calling card which gives the artist a form of promotion

I hope that helps to answer your question?

Thanks!
    • Uni,

As my friends above have touched on, this being the beta, it still is way different from a winzip or similar container based encryption. Your encrypted file will still appears and acts as a normal unencrypted OBJ, but access to the actual content is improbable* unless you are authorized to do so**. The other huge aspect of our software is the embedding of asset tracking beacons within the encrypted file. These allow you to track your asset from the moment you encrypt it to wherever the wind takes it.

For the math nerds (article is 5 years old):

*Brute Forcing AES
      So how long would it take to brute force attack a message encrypted with AES using a 128 bit key? It would of course depend on how fast of a device you were using. In June 2011 TOP500 updated their list of the fastest super computers in the world. The fastest one, the K Computer, can do 8,200,000,000,000,000 (8.2 quadrillion) calculations per second. According to the Wall Street Journal this device cost $1.25 billion to construct. Let’s borrow it for our attack.
      During the NIST selection process, the various algorithms were benchmarked carefully for encryption speed. That paper doesn’t specifically address decryption speed, but it does have one relevant nugget: Rijndael, the eventual winner, takes 1400 clocks to set up a decryption key before you can even try and decrypt anything. For this example we’ll sprinkle pixie dust over the K Computer and speed it up by several orders of magnitude so it can setup a decryption key and decrypt the ciphertext using all 10 rounds of AES-128 in a single clock cycle (or calculation as they are called in the TOP500 list).
      Using this now magical device, we could brute force a 56 bit key (the old DES standard used 56 bit keys) in 256 clock cycles, which would take 8 seconds.
      Brute forcing a 128 bit key using this device would take 1,315,888,179,366,587 (1.3 quadrillion) years. That’s the same as 1,315,888 billion years. Current scientific models predict the universe to be 13 billion years old. The times required to brute force 192 and 256 bit keys are astronomically larger.